Monday, February 16, 2015

The Goodlett Ginkgos

Every fall I look forward to driving by the row of ginkgos on Goodlett between The railroad tracks and Central. The cross street is Grandview Ave. The trees are so fine that others have already posted them on the web as an ad for the Grandview Area Neighborhood Association, Memphis, TN, USA (see the link below).

Grandview Ave and Goodlett 

Ginkgos have the reputation for dropping their leaves all at once. This does not always happen, but it seems to happen after a hard frost. When driving to work on Nov. 14, 2014 just before 8 AM, I saw the leaves falling. I did not have a camera so I called Susan and asked her to come with a camera and take pictures before it was too late. She could not get there right away but she did come later after most of the leaves had fallen. Here is what she saw.

Carpet of ginkgo leaves, Nov. 14, 2014
There were a few left hanging on the trees, but not many.
Waiting for the next breeze

These ginkgos are behind a large holly hedge.
The holly and the ginkgo
 Well, there is always next year. I need to keep that camera in the car.

Solo Ginkgo on Kirby Parkway north of Cottingham.
Nov. 16, 2014
This blog is dedicated to Memphis trees, but I have to make this one exception for a ginkgo we saw in Kyoto. After much pointing and gesticulation I was able to get an old gardener to tell me this tree is 400 years old. I cannot verify this, but the size of the trunk seems to fit.
Ginkgo at Nishi Hongwanji temple Kyoto, Sept. 20, 2014
Closeup of the trunk of this amazing tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment