Saturday, May 30, 2015

American smoketree

Tree #101 American smoketree

On my way to help move my son to a new house I drove past a new tree that I had not seen before. It had large feathery pink flower spikes that gave it a very soft look.
Smoketree in bloom May 30, 2015, 4191 Kimball in Memphis between Rebecca and Merrycrest
I had lost track of my camera, but when I found it this week in a suit pocket I decided to go back and take some photos of this tree and try to identify it. I finally found a picture that matched it on the web. Scientific name: Cotinus coggygria
flower spikes and leaves
Close up of the flower spikes
Some branches shot up away from the rest like a Dr. Seuss invention
“I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.”
Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

In spring 2016 my wife and I went to eat at Caritas Village in Binghampton (on Harvard St.) where we saw this pair of trees in full bloom. The leaves are not the same so this is not a smoketree, but it has that same feathery look to it.

 

1 comment:

  1. That's all well and good, but it is still a Truffula Tree.

    ReplyDelete